Sunday, November 13, 2011

Take Lots Of Aspirins And Keep It Iced







Moonstone Beach
June 3 ‘80

Yesterday, ranger Chuck drove me to the bus station and I caught my
ride to Eureka. I checked in with the employment office, and I talked
with some fishermen. I found out there was 18% to 25% unemployment in
the area. Work, for me was not going to happen, so I went to the
Greyhound bus station and checked prices. I could catch a bus to
Olympia, Washington for $50. (I planned to visit Eddy, my old buddy
from Hawaii). I also found out that $200 would buy me a two-week bus
pass to anywhere in the continental U.S.A. Before making that
decision, however, I thought I would hitchhike up to Humboldt
University and talk with an athletic trainer about my knee. I figured
it couldn’t hurt.

The news was not good, but the guy was sympathetic. He told me it
takes a long time for an injury like mine to heal. “Use lots of ice and
take lots of aspirins,” he said. Since I was already at the university, I checked
out the bookstore. They had a good Philosophy Department.

Heading back to Patrick Point, Paul picked me up hitchhiking. He
dropped me off at a store just south of Trinidad where I had planned to buy
ice for my knee. Walking into the store, I realized I had left my bike pannier
in the back of his truck. Unfortunately, Paul took off before I could retrieve
the pannier. He mentioned he was going to Moonstone beach, so after
considerable hassle, I arrived at the beach only to find that he was not there. I
stayed, though. It was a beautiful beach. It was a good thing, too,
because he finally did show up. He offered to give me a ride back up
to my campsite, but he wanted to practice his rock climbing first
(that’s why he had come to this beach). Just off shore were some huge
rocks, which, at low tide, were accessible. I also climbed, but when I
reached the first perch, I stopped. Even at that level, the ocean view was gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment