Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Mistook Sharks For Dolphins





Inter-Coastal Waterway, South Carolina
May `77

For the past three days I've been doing about 90 miles per day. All
in all, things haven't been overly good. The highway has been cracked
and potholed (and likewise with the maniac drivers). Nobody in their
right mind would plan to ride their bicycle here. I have seen the
ocean once since I began this trip, and I had to pedal twenty-five
miles out of my way to do it. Anyway, at my last store stop, the lady
told me about this free park, so I have been camped here, on the
inter-coastal waterway, since yesterday. The place is really
beautiful. Large South Carolina pines surround me, the bustling
waterway is in front of me, and best of all, there's not a whole lot
of people camping here. It's hard to believe that I'm in a state park,
and the camping is free.

Last night, I saw a pair of dolphins swimming down the waterway. Dave
and George (my closest neighbors) told me I probably mistook sharks
for dolphins. If they were sharks they had to be 12 to 16 feet
long--not a pleasant thought since earlier in the day I had been
swimming almost in the same spot. I shared some dinner and some good
smoke dope with Dave and George before going back to my own tent. It
was a very pleasant evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment