Sunday, September 4, 2011

Quebec And Non-Quebec Canadians Were Kind Of At War

Ontario, Canada July 6, 1977 Well, it finally happened! The other day (after my milk shake) the rain stopped. When I walked outside it started clearing, and, in another two hours, sunshine. The wind remained, however. I spent last night in a nice wooded area, close to houses, but hidden from view. Today has been beautiful, wind about 5-15 mph, not head on, and warm-- almost hot. This was one of my 90-100 mile days, and I wanted to keep right on going. I stopped because I sent for money that would probably arrive in Ottawa in two more days. I'll spend tomorrow cruising into town (60 or 70 miles) and try to find a youth hostel. It's past time for a shower and washed clothes. My last shower was back in New Brunswick; washed clothes go all the way back to Nova Scotia. Why can't everyday be like today (without the wind, though)! See, I'm never satisfied. For supper, after stopping at a fruit growers gathering, I had two peaches and a quart of strawberries. Oh yeah, I also picked up an English-speaking radio station. That was an exciting event. It was the only time I ever wanted the music to stop just so I could listen to the disc jockey. Also, I'm getting $100. from my credit union. They're sending it to a bank in Ottawa. I'm not going to punish myself anymore. I need my five to seven stops a day. That's what keeps me happy. July 7 Yesterday was okay biking--a little rain and cloudy. Just before Ottawa, I met another bicycler who welcomed me back to civilization. Apparently, Quebec was kind of at war with non Quebec Canadians. According to my new friend, a new political party—the Parti Québécois was established for the purpose of seeking an independent Quebec. My friend told me that on this side of river, the river that separated Quebec from Ontario, the people were just regular people, and I’d have to say that so far I agree. After talking with that friendly biker, the animosity I encountered while biking Quebec became more understandable. [Parti Québécois Secession_of_Quebec In the 1976 election, the PQ won 71 seats — a majority in the National Assembly. With voting turnouts high, 41.4 percent of the electorate voted for the PQ.]

No comments:

Post a Comment