Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Deal’s A Deal—Time To Shed That Mortal Coil







Judgment Day (a day that spans almost the whole of part four)
Some Future Time


"Jazz! You always did like jazz didn't you. That's probably because
of that freedom thing, your eminent preoccupation, right?"

"What's this? Is that you?"

"Yes, its me," responded MV, "Did you think you were rid of me? Well
I'm back, but as you know, I never really left. I would have been
right up front with you if you only would have called, but you didn't.
It's a pity; all that time I go unappreciated. You should be ashamed.
Why didn't you call?"

"You were my sickness and now you're back, after all these years, you
tell me why? Why even come back?"

"Because it's time," MV replied, "time to pay old debts; time to shed
that mortal coil."

"Oh, that explains it," I said. "A voice in my head announces it's
time to die and that's that. Sick people die. I can't argue that, but
why so scripted? It's like in a movie where the grim reaper points a
finger, and off you go. Maybe I'm sick, maybe even sick to death. But
if that's true, why do you have to be so uncreative about it?"

"Don't play coy with me," responded MV, "a deal's a deal! And now
it's time to pay up. After all, without me you never would have made
it this far. Instead of a smiling old man, consoled by your beloved
jazz music, rocking your heart away in your favorite chair, you would
have died unfulfilled and in pain a long time ago. Instead of savoring
memories of family, friends, and peaceful meditations, your corpse,
save a few rotting bones, would have all but disappeared by now. You might
even think yourself blessed, but I wouldn't go that far. Even so, you
have lived a good life-- a rare accomplishment indeed. But now its
time; prepare yourself, we must go!"

"Wait, what's the hurry?" I said, "I'm sorry if you felt neglected,
but if I really owe you for my good fortune, then maybe you ought to
give me a little more time. We can both appreciate each other that
way. After all, if you don't allow yourself time to feel good about
yourself, nobody else can do it for you. You're right; I do have much
to be grateful for. If I owe you that honor so be it. Actually, I'm
only asking that you to give yourself more time to be appreciated.
Believe me, you owe it to yourself, especially if, as you say, I would
not be me without you!"

"Well, I guess a small reprieve wouldn't hurt," MV replied. "And
besides, there's more to this story than you are aware. This could
even be fun!"

"What do you mean there is more to the story?" I said. "How can that
be? You are, as you yourself have said, only a `shadow presence.' I
affirm or deny you as I please. In the form of conscience, you may
have some influence, but that's the end of it, right?"

"I am a witness, true, but I also have power," responded MV. "Soon you
will understand!”

No comments:

Post a Comment