Friday, March 16, 2012

Under A Wet Sky, Onto A Wet Bike, In a Wet, Wetsuit, I Was Packing Wet Gear








Quebec
June 30, ‘82

I just finished a can of pork and beans, two peanut butter and jelly
sandwiches, a couple of hunks of cheese, and a couple of cookies and
I'm presently working on my second-quart of beer. The sun is shining,
it's 6:30 PM and I'm watching this fisherman who just interrupted my
dinner as I was sitting under the bridge, which stretches over a
St. Lawrence Seaway inlet. The fisherman is presently standing about 25 yards
from me, trying to figure out if it's worth fishing or not. Well it
looks like the nots have it, he's walking away. Sorry fisherman I
didn't mean to spoil your favorite spot.

Well this is a pretty nice end to a not so nice day. Last night it
rained and rained and rained. I didn't have my tent as secure as I
would have liked, so I woke up in the middle of the night in a puddle
of water. At 7 AM I was packing wet gear under a wet sky, onto a wet
bike, in a wet, wet, wetsuit. It rained throughout the morning and
around noon it settled into the overcast that I am now experiencing.

Around 3:30 PM I came to a junction in the road with a sign that read
"Go this way and your windy, rainy, trip will be 30 kilometers longer,
but the scenery will probably make it all worth while." But, the sign
pointing in the other direction read, "Go this way and the traffic
will be shitty, the scenery lousy, and you should have gone the other
way. However, the trip will be shorter and maybe even dryer." Well I
took the shortcut and wasn't disappointed. The traffic wasn't bad, the
scenery was real nice, and it was a lot shorter--so that left me in
Gaspe, under a peek-a-boo sun, which meant a spot to dry out and catch
my breath.

I went directly to the store and here I am sitting on the banks of
the St. Lawrence with a quart of beer in my hand. I don't feel like
traveling, so this overpass will have to serve as my home away from
home, at least for tonight. Tomorrow I'll reach Perce. There's a youth
hostel there, which means a shower, and hopefully I'll get some
laundry done.

No comments:

Post a Comment