Thursday, March 8, 2012

Writing Is Liberating And Keeps Me Close To God









Future Time
Persistence

"So that was it?" said MV, "No more searching? No more struggle?"
"In that direction, yes," I said. "Synonymous with struggle is family,
however, and that never quits."

"But you never stopped writing. Why?"

"In a way, I was forced to continue," I replied, "CMU was trying to
privatize my job. With a family to support and seventeen years of
seniority about to go up in smoke, I decided to go back to school. As
a Sociology graduate student, you might say my metaphysic got socialized."

"Why Sociology?"

"Why not," I replied, "it was an extension of Philosophy, and I needed
a degree that I could sell. I had the support of the faculty too,
particularly the politically left leaning faculty."

"Did they support your metaphysic?" said MV.

"No," I replied, "In leftist circles God is not a popular subject. In
fact, I never brought it up. It was, however, mentioned once, at a
critical point in writing my thesis, and I was told to stay sociological.

"How did you do that?" responded MV. "I mean, how do you write about
the experience of God sociologically?"

"Writing a thesis is about using authority figures to back up your
ideas," I replied, "which is what I did; and further, it's about
gathering statistically significant data to back up your hypotheses,
which is also what I did."

"I must be missing something, or are you a magician too?" said MV.

"It wasn't easy, something like walking on broken glass, but I got it
done," I replied."

"What was your thesis about?"

"I titled it: Prejudice: Empirical Data Beckoning Toward A Theory Of
Self, Ambivalence, And Tolerance," I said, "and except for the data,
which wasn't as strong as I would have liked, I pulled it off. I was
able to say what I wanted to say and back it up with data. It didn't
happen overnight, though, and, like I said, it wasn't easy. In fact,
my first two thesis topics were rejected. They weren't sociological
enough I guess. One, a paper on Structuralism, written in a class that
was supposed to help students prepare for their thesis, I got credit
for, but it still didn't fly as a thesis topic. But, I haven't really
answered your question, have I? The fact is I can't stop writing. For
me, it's an expression of freedom."

No comments:

Post a Comment