Thursday, August 4, 2011

Arcadia National Park




Maine
June 17

Richard and I haven't hooked up yet. He'll probably arrive tomorrow.
After the weather cleared, I biked 80 or 90 miles, and camped last
night at Moose State Park. It was situated on one of the many
inlets that peppered the Maine coastline. I made
myself scarce around sundown, so as not to attract attention to
myself. As I was leaving the area, I met some hitchhikers who were
also planning to camp illegally in the park. We talked for a while.
The younger one had never hitchhiked long distance before. He exuded
the same enthusiasm and excitement for the road that I used to have.
Talking with him brought back some fond memories. It's true; I'm
getting older. That night I slept without a tent, under a star filled
sky, a beautiful sky. In the morning I biked into Bar Harbor.

Bar Harbor sat at the entrance of Arcadia National Park. It was a
neat little town. It had a lot of inviting shops—for tourists. I
checked out the price of taking a ferry over to Nova Scotia. For
$18.50 I could cut 320 miles off my trip, relax, and enjoy an
eight-hour ferry ride. But, if I took the ferry, I would miss some
nice scenery. The bike trip would cost me a good $10. or $12., so I
really wouldn't save much money. I decided to take the ferry. I also
calculated that I had about 1000 miles of bicycling left. My $120
probably wouldn't be enough to get me home. Somewhere along the way I
would have to send for more money.

No comments:

Post a Comment