Saturday, December 11, 2010

Federalies Searched A Joint Fell

One Toke Over The Line Sweet Mama


Juarez, Mexico

Wayne's parents were not overjoyed to see me, but it was
obvious that they expected this kind of thing from their son. Wayne
went out of his way to be nice, my impression was that this was his
Christian way of doing things, although he didn't belabor the point.
The next day we went back to the coffee house, and I met the owner.
He seemed like an alright guy, nothing special though, which is why
I thought it a little strange when he offered to put me up for a
couple of nights. At his apartment, he also asked me if I wanted to
wait on tables. He had his help pretty much lined up, but a couple
of them were not yet available. After learning that, Dave's motives
began to make more sense. It was also then that I found out Wayne's
connection with the coffee house was more a friendship thing than a
financial partnership. In the end, I was just glad to have a place
to crash, and a chance to take in the sights of El Paso.

It was fun working at the coffee house; Dave was right: he
needed my help. Although the place hadn't officially opened, it was
packed most of the night. The musicians, college kids looking for
stage experience, were standing in line to entertain. The music was
good, sometimes really good. My only regret was that I didn't have
time to listen. I was running from kitchen to tables handling drinks
(at first awkwardly), but by night's end, rather gracefully. Coffee
with two refills cost a quarter. Espresso coffee was fifty cents. At
sixty-five cents, Cupchino was the most expensive drink, but it was
also the tastiest. We served 15 varieties of tea, a couple kinds of
hot chocolate, and the best hot cinnamon cider ever tasted.

Since only a river separated El Paso from Juarez, on the
following morning, I told Dave I wanted to see the Mexican city. He
said, "I'll drive you." I would rather have gone alone, but I
couldn't say no to my host. Once there, we went into a large food
store where I bought a red banana for 1/2 cent. The Mexican Arts and
Crafts building that we went through was pretty neat too. I would
have mingled more with the Mexican people, however, if I had been
alone. I did have one exciting moment, though.

When we went back across the border, the Federalies were going
through Dave's car and when I reached in my shirt pocket to pull out
my chap stick, with it came a joint that I managed to catch just
before it hit the pavement. I had totally forgotten that one of the
cats I worked with the night before had laid a joint on me. My heart
began pounding ninety miles an hour as I cupped the joint in my hand
and put it back in my pocket. Standing outside the car, I spent the
next few minutes sweating the possibility that the Federalies would
go through my pockets like they were going through the car. I was
relieved when they let us back into the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment