Saturday, December 18, 2010

Magical Mystery Tour

The Magical Mystery Tour Is Dying To Take You Away,
Dying To Take You Away, Take You Today


Corpus Christy
Nov. 1, `70

I had just finished eating a can of cold mushroom soup (but I wasn't
hungry enough to enjoy it) when two guys and a girl walked up to me.
They had just dropped Psylocybin and had one hit left. They figured
it would be easier to give it away than to try and divide it among
each other. I thanked the trio, dropped the dope, and walked down
the beach. I hadn't gone far when a car pulled up. It was the trio;
they asked me if I wanted to drive into Corpus with them. They were
on their way to score some acid. I had nothing to lose, so I went
too, and when we got to the place where the acid was, there was a
party going on. The driver went into the house while the chick, her
boyfriend, and I stayed in the car. One of the dudes from the party
returned with the driver and he was holding a cup. He said, "Have a
drink of punch, but be careful. This stuff is really powerful.
There's 18 hits of Psylocybin in it and 15 hits of acid." We all
agreed, after everybody took a couple sips of the punch, to stay at
the party.

Inside the house, I sat with my back to the punchbowl, close to the
speakers. After the bowl was empty (I helped out in that
department), more dope was brought out. The boys having the party
were well equipped; I saw a plastic bag full of acid being passed
around, and, on another occasion (for a different clientele I
suspect), a bag of heroin was briefly brought out and paraded about.
The place was packed with every kind of person.

This seemed to be a revolving door kind of party. I enjoyed watching
the comings and goings while I listened to good music. When it came
time to go, I was enjoying myself so much that I told my ride "No
thanks." That turned out to be a huge mistake. Around 10 p.m.,
everybody split except the dudes who threw the party. By that time,
I couldn't even swallow, let alone talk. I was still sitting next to
the music (now at low volume) when my hosts began discussing their
displeasure. They were upset because everybody grabbed their dope
and ran. One of these dudes angrily said, "Fuck; I didn't even know
most of the people."

I was already uncomfortable, but then it became obvious that these
boys wanted me to explain who I was (or at least give them a sign
that I wasn't a narc), but I was too blown away. I couldn't even ask
them if I could crash at their place because I couldn't talk. When I
thought they were getting ready to throw me out anyway, I stood up
and walked out the door. Outside, on the steps, I took a deep breath
and everything in front of me melted beyond recognition. It didn't
matter though; I hadn't a clue as to where I was. I just knew I had
to keep moving.

I walked in the direction of the brightest lights. At the corner, I
found myself standing on the drive of a gas station, but it took me
a while to realize it. I had to find out how to get back to the
beach. Even though entering the gas station terrified me, I walked
through the door. In the midst of melting walls and rivers of color,
I managed to stutter, "P-a-a-dre Is-land." The attendant gave me a
strange look and then pointed down the road as he said, "It's at the
end of the highway, you can't miss it." Back on the gas station
drive, I breathed a sigh of relief and started walking the twenty
miles back to the beach. In the darkness, I regained a sense of
reality.

When the road narrowed, a nightmarish thought hit me, "What if
somebody offered me a ride?" "I will refuse," I told myself. Soon
after that a car pulled up and the guy in the passenger seat asked
me if I needed a lift, and without hesitation I opened the back door
and climbed into the backseat of the brand new Plymouth Roadrunner.
I got the words "P-a-a-dre Is-land" out of my mouth, and the guy who
offered me the ride, after handing me a cold beer, said, "That
shouldn't be a problem." Then, with beer spilling all over my shirt,
I was thrust against the seat as the car accelerated. From the front
seat came a voice that said, "I hope you don't mind speed."
Fortunately, there were no cars in the oncoming lane. After passing
the five or six cars in front of us, the driver opened the car up as
he continued to accelerate. We were going so fast that we needed
both lanes to keep the car on the highway. At that speed, and on
that not so good road, the car jumped from lane to lane. I was
hemorrhaging in the backseat. I wanted to scream, but I couldn't.
The roar of the car's engine was all that could be heard until the
driver shouted, "It's at 140. I think I can get 160." That did it!
I screamed, "I want out! Let me out!" That worked because the
driver took his foot off the gas. As the car slowed to a reasonable
speed, nobody said anything. I guess the silence was our reality
check. Finally, the guy in the passenger seat turned to me and
said, "No sense getting out now, were almost there." I responded by
remaining silent. When I did get out of the car, I found myself
trembling and glad to be alive. In fact, I was really glad to be
alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment