Thursday, December 9, 2010

Otherworldly Dilemma Amazingly Resolved

Eagle's Take It Easy


Winslow, Arizona

At the end of the tour, Sherry asked me if I wanted
something to eat. Winslow, Arizona was not far from where we exited
the park, so we went looking for a restaurant. It was getting on
towards the end of the day and since I spent most of it
backtracking, I felt terrible. Sherry was good company though, very
attractive, so I didn't feel too terrible. We shared a few laughs
over a hamburger and coffee and as we were leaving the restaurant,
Sherry asked me if I wanted to drive her to Las Vegas. She said it
would be fun and she was tired of driving anyway.

On our way back to the interstate, I tried to figure out if I wanted
to chauffeur a beautiful chick to "glitz city" and hang with the high
rollers, or find that island where all I would encounter was myself,
the sand, the salt breeze, and the Gulf of Mexico. At the
expressway, I thanked Sherry as I headed off in the opposite
direction. Standing on the wind swept highway, trying to keep the
grit out of my eyes, I couldn't believe what I had just done. I
really thought I was going crazy and then it hit me; I was standing
on a corner in Winslow, Arizona, on my way to where I really wanted
to go and, for better or worse, I had overcome the temptation to do
otherwise. I spent the next hour, until my next ride,
singing: "Standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona; such a very
fine sight to see, it's a girl my Lord in a flat bed ford, slowing
down to take a look at me…" -- the Eagle's song, Take It Easy. That
night I slept along side the highway, in the middle of a brier
patch, freezing. I vowed I would be warm before I slept again.

No comments:

Post a Comment