Friday, January 21, 2011

Live In The Moment--Be Here Now


All My Life's A Circle But I Can't Tell You Why
Season's Spinning Round Again The Years Keep Rollin' By


End Of Conversation With Henry
Campsite, East Yellowstone Entrance

"What's the point," I said, "what am I missing here? Existence is one
huge moment, and I'm supposed to be unattached to it? Is that what's
supposed to happen? Help me out. I'm lost."

"The point," said Henry, "is that you're already attached. You cannot
get unattached. Your whole life is nothing more, or less, than moments
nested in moments, nested in moments, all the way down. That's why I
can say, `we are already here-- in this moment-- as we have been, and
will be until we are no more. It's the intensity of the moment that
counts, not its object.' We go from childhood to adult, and, in the
process, are supposed to learn `what is important' and `what is not
important.' Those who learn well, stop chasing moments. They create
them instead. Take for instance the artist. Great artists live for
quality moments. If they can intensify and expand those moments, they
end up creating masterful works of art. When an appreciation for the
quality of a moment grows, moments of quality expand. And so it
is with spiritual teachings, especially for those students who are
taught to expand awareness through the practice of meditation. Some
students learn quickly, some do not. But, all students show progress,
and, in so doing, learn how to appreciate moments of quality. Learning
how to sustain and intensify those moments is what it's all about.
Realizing a moment of quality, when that is all there is, is to be
here now. Think about it. What could be simpler? Be here now, where
else can you be?"

"Maybe I have to go back and reread the book," I said. I wanted to ask
Henry about the experience I'd had while coasting down the Big Horn
Mountains, but I thought better of it. If I couldn't understand what
he was saying about a book that I had already read carefully, I didn't
think there was much to be gained from getting his opinion on
something that I really couldn't put into words anyway. Instead, we
started talking about Yellowstone, and, after I finished my beer, I
went back to my tent and crashed.

No comments:

Post a Comment