Thursday, January 13, 2011

On The Farm

Bought Myself A Farm
Spent Time In The Hayloft With The Mice And The Bunnies
Spent Time In The Country Yes It's Good Livin’ On The Farm


Bike Trip
South Dakota
May 23

It poured so hard I had to look at my feet to see the edge of the
highway. When the thunder, lightning, and wind hit, I knew my goose
was cooked. I pushed my bike into the driveway of a farmhouse hoping
to find shelter in one of the outback buildings. As I got close to
the farmhouse, the door opened and an entire family greeted me. They
must have been watching the storm from their window when they saw me
on the highway. After I removed my wet clothes and put on their
boy's dry clothes, I was given a hot cup of tea. The whole family
(three boys, mom and dad) was super friendly. When they heard my
story they had a hard time accepting the fact that I (or anybody
else) would try and ride a bicycle in a storm like that. They told
me, "When the sky turns black on the prairie, you stop what you're
doing and take shelter." I said, "I won't make that mistake again."
The mom put my clothes in the dryer and told me I was spending the
night.

After dinner I went with the boys while they did their chores. Out
back, we fed the horses, and one of the boy's took me for a bareback
ride on one of their horses. It was fun. After that, I helped feed
the other animals and I watched as one of the boys tried to move a
pig from one stall to another. The 800 lb. pig had lived his entire
life in the same stall, and, as far as he was concerned, nobody was
going to make him move. The job was left unfinished as we headed
back to the farmhouse. Apparently, these pigs never see the light of
day until its time to be butchered. (What a life, eh!)

Back at the farmhouse we watched the sun set. There was just enough
open sky between horizon and cloudbank to make a spectacular sunset.
The rainbow that went from horizon to horizon wasn't too
unspectacular either! I felt just like a farmer; I smelled like one
too. The family social event of the evening was eating popcorn and
playing checkers in the living room. I felt like I was part of the
family. I really enjoyed myself, but I declined when I was invited
to stick around for a few more days.

After breakfast the next morning, I was on my way again; that is,
my new symphony of bicycle rattles and me were on our way again. By
5 p.m. I had reached this restaurant where I am presently drinking
coffee. I have come 91 miles, and I am reluctant to get back on my
bike. It looks like rain. I wonder if Mike and Denny are having my
kind of luck?

No comments:

Post a Comment