Monday, January 31, 2011

Significance Of The Voice Of MV a.k.a. Satan One Of Three Parts

Riders On The Storm
Into This House We're Born
Into This World We're Thrown
Like A Dog Without A Bone
An Actor Out On Loan



With this post I will try to explain the significance of the dialogue that occurs between my voice and the voice of MV a.k.a. Satan. Actually, my conversations with the devil began early on in the writing of my journals, but, because I deemed them unnecessary for my participation in postaday2011, I deleted them. Yesterday, however, it occurred to me that absent these MV dialogues, my journal entries would require a lot of rewriting so, in future posts, I’ve decided to leave the dialogues in. Consequently, in this and my next two posts I will, hopefully, catch the reader up of the significance of the MV dialogues. These conversations are rooted in my academic readings of Goethe’s Faust, but, except for what follows in the wager between Gabriel and Mephisto, I do not mimic Goethe’s masterpiece, Faust.

The following dialogue is part of a conversation between Archangel Gabriel and Mephisto (Mephistopheles), which was written into the introduction of my road journals.

The Mephisto/Gabriel Wager

Scene: In A Garden Somewhere On High

“I am thinking of a boy. Do you know him?”

“Of course I do. I know what you know, and yes, I know this boy,” answered Mephisto. “Let’s see, as I recall he’s not a cutting edge type fellow: mediocre intelligence, fragile, and a loner. A poor chap; he is of the kind that makes my life a bore. What more can I say?”

“I wouldn’t be so quick to judge if I were you. His heart remains untested,” said Gabriel, “and, he is not satisfied with worldly pleasures. These qualities do not make an easy catch for you. He is a seeker, and is not easily distracted. In fact, I think you might be wrong about him.”

“Such a bold a prediction,” responded Mephisto, “what would you wager to keep him. Surely he is worth something to you. Your words carry such conviction.”

“He is mortal. He will err, but he will also pick himself up and move on,” said Gabriel. “A pure heart will lead him. Go! Have your way with him if you can? Hear me though; if he does not succumb to temptation then your muted silence will be my prize. Your tongue will not be missed. Be off! You spoil the scenery."

“I would gladly go, but let’s be fair, a wager requires something in return,” responded Mephisto. “Surely you jest if you think a soul that is already ripe for the plucking will satisfy the devil’s appetite!”

“What do you propose?” replied Gabriel.

“After I claim his soul, I want to hear trumpets. I want fanfares,” said Mephisto. “I think a seat next to yours would be nice also. After all, without me you would be nothing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment