Monday, January 16, 2012

Bicycling Saskatchewan









July, `80

The morning after saying good-bye to Jean, I said so long to Saskatoon.
With a brisk northwesterly wind at my back and under lots of sunshine, I had
put 120 miles behind me before day's end. I would have put even more miles,
behind me, but I had a flat tire. I ended up camping behind a garage next to a
garbage dump because I didn’t want to pay the $4.00 campground fee.
Needless to say I was up early, around 5 a.m., and was hoping for another
good weather day. 120 miles later, I was not disappointed.

Right now I'm sitting at a picnic table at a free campsite. When I
stopped to fill my canteen last night, I asked the guy at the gas
station if he knew where I could set up my tent, and he told me about
this place. When I rolled in, I was shocked. The place was large, and
very scenic. There were fire grates, piles of precut firewood, and the
grounds were green and well kept. Best of all, there was a bathhouse
with free hot showers. I had carried with me a couple of beers, so I
was set for a great evening.

I'm presently finishing up in my journal, and eating my morning
pancakes under a rising sun. What a treat!

July 19

Yesterday I thought the day was going to turn into a scorcher, but it
wasn't all that bad. Bicycling was good. Although the wind at my back
had kind of petered out, I still had another long distance day.

Right now, I'm sitting in an empty grain storage shed, watching it
rain cats and dogs. There's only one leak in the roof. Originally,
I was trying to hide behind some trees, out of sight of the
highway, when I stumbled upon this place. I am lucky to be here.
Goodnight! I'm tired.

July 20

A poem attempt that failed.

No comments:

Post a Comment