Saturday, January 14, 2012

Saskatoon Almost In Sight







July, `80

Here are a couple of thoughts that I want to journalize before I
forget: While biking, I sing a lot, especially in the mountains. More
than once I have lost my voice. By singing, I get to express the
emotion that builds, as the beautiful scenery intensifies around me. I
know lots of melodies, but few words. I just make the words up as I
go. Nobody hears anyway. (I'm back. I had to zip up the tent. It's
raining.) Words don't really matter; it's the singing that matters.
When I'm not singing, I tend to think about home--my apartment,
guitar, stereo, color TV, cold beer, and my cat, Heather, sitting on
my lap as we watch a good movie. My paintbrushes are always
handy if I get bored. (I hope my tent stays up. I should have done a
better job putting it up.) I hate to admit it, but on a couple of
occasions, I actually thought about a quick train ride home. Like
maybe right now, if one was only near.

July 15

I'm finally getting it together. I guess Saskatchewan has free tent
camping. All you have to do is ask for the "tent spot." I found that
out at my last stop. I also asked if that was the case in Alberta, and
I was told "no." There you had to pay. Anyway, I'm presently a happy
camper, eating peanuts, bread, cheese, eggs, and beer. What a life! I
have even figured the beer out. You go into a hotel and order a beer
and then get two more to go. Up until now I thought all alcohol had to
be bought at the retail brewery. I'm enjoying my second Pilsner and if
the rain holds back, I'll be able to finish it.

I awoke to the same rain that poured on me all night long. I biked
for the first six hours in the rain, and then it was just cloudy, with
a few scattered showers. The temperature was hot, in the high
eighties, so the rain was warm—the best kind. According to the local
residents this was the first rain in six weeks. I bet if the farmers
new what I could do for them, I would be kidnapped. On the radio, the
weatherman told me that tomorrow it's supposed to be sunny. That's
about right; I did ninety-five miles today, and tomorrow I'll reach
Saskatoon. It's only my bicycling that attracts the rain! Actually,
the rain gives me something to write about. What I hate though, is
crawling into my tent with wet clothes on. Tomorrow I'll have a roof
over my head and a real bed to sleep in, but best of all; I'll be calling up Jean
Johnson to see if she's up for that promised beer. I'm excited about that.


No comments:

Post a Comment