Saturday, January 28, 2012

Moon Over Lake Superior—Rustic Camping








Marquette, Michigan
July 31, '80


I arrived in Marquette just in time to purchase an $11. bicycle tire.
Prices got higher the farther east I went. I bought the same tire for
$8.50 the last time. After completing that task, I biked up the hill to
Northern Michigan University and grabbed a shower. At the University,
I met up with another biker. He was out of London, Ontario, on his way
to Vancouver. We agreed to camp together, and after a pizza and beer
at a local pub, we biked to a stretch of deserted beach just north of
Marquette. The white sand beaches of Lake Superior were fantastic. We
had no problem setting up camp, and enjoying the six beers we had
carried back with us. We watched a big red moon come up over the lake
-- nice.

Not so nice, however, were the Lake Superior mosquitoes. They tried to
carry us away last night, and then today we have the man-eating flies
to contend with. They're biting my ankles through my socks about every
four minutes-- making me write faster and faster. I suppose I've
enjoyed this beach long enough, anyway. I think I'll go tell Rick
I'll be heading out instead of spending a couple of days here in
paradise like we had talked about last night. All things considered,
Lake Superior is still worth the hassle.

No comments:

Post a Comment