Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pictured Rocks--Munising, Michigan








Lake Superior
Aug. 1

Yesterday was a good day, as was the day before that, and the day
before that. Michigan is a great State. Of course, it helps when the
weather is good, too! The flies forced my quick departure from the
beach yesterday, so I didn't get a chance to acknowledge the great
company Rick turned out to be. The two of us left the beach together,
and went to the hospital where we ate a great breakfast for a
reasonable price. We wished each other well after that, and I headed
out for Munising, another fifty or so miles down the highway. It was
already afternoon, so that was a good place to aim for, particularly
since it was my last chance to camp on Lake Superior.

The bicycling was great. The weather was muggy, and occasionally the
traffic was heavy, but that was the only drawback. I almost forgot,
before leaving the last campsite, I thought I'd try swimming in the
lake. Lake Superior is very cold. This time, however, the water was
tolerable, even pleasant, after I got used to it. I enjoyed my
morning swim tremendously. It was just me, in the middle of the lake,
digging my toes into the sand,--looking out at miles of deserted
shoreline. Beautiful!

At the end of that gorgeous day, I went to a bar and had a couple
beers, and ate a turkey sandwich. That was a great way to end the
day. I also called home and set the date for my parents to pick me
up--Sunday, Aug. 3, in St. Ignace. After I had made those
arrangements, I felt strange. My trip was coming to an end, and it was
a very heavy feeling. This had been a very good bicycle trip, but I'll
probably speak more on that later.

I just finished my last pancake and am about to begin another great
day. There were no flies in the campground last night and hardly any
mosquitoes. It doesn't get any better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment