Friday, April 20, 2012

The Earth Is My Home—It Feels Really, Really, Good








In My Hand Was A Huge Peach
Aug. 14

Coffee at McDonalds is getting to be a habit. It's free refills, and
a good place to write. Yesterday, at McDonalds, I met Tim, who was
finishing up a two-week bicycle trip, so we headed out together. After
a hundred miles we arrived at a State Park just outside of Syracuse.
The park was already full, so we went down to the Erie Canal and found
a place to put up our tents. We bought a six-pack of beer, and sat by
the canal drinking in the history of the place.

I said, “This is a good day,” and Tim said, "It’s my best."

In the morning, after I said goodbye to Tim, I headed into the city.
It was kind of neat. Syracuse was built around its featured
attraction--horse-racing. After I picked up my money, however, I didn't
stick around, except to buy a pair of corduroy pants at the Salvation
Army thrift store. My blue jeans were showing a lot of wear. They went
into the Salvation Army wastebasket.

There are two notes of interest I need to get down on paper. The one
leads into the other, I think. Just before the rain started to fall,
as I was pedaling into Auburn, a truck pulled into a parking lot and a
guy jumped out and came running after me yelling, "Biker! Biker!" I
wasn't sure what to do, and then I saw this huge peach in his hand.
While still running he stuck the peach in my outstretched hand. It all
took place in the matter of seconds. I only managed to get the words
thank you out, as the runner fell back. Passing me in his truck, he
waved and honked his horn. New York State is, in addition to being
beautiful, is full of surprises!

The other note of interest concerns this sensation that I am
presently experiencing. I respect the Earth, so when people sometimes
ask me what its like to camp in undesignated areas, I reply, "I
respect the Earth." That reply pretty much sums up my attitude on
bicycle camping, and that attitude, over time, has turned into a very
pleasant sensation. The Earth is my home, and it feels really, really,
great!

No comments:

Post a Comment