Saturday, April 14, 2012

Love Is Not Limited By Kind or Degree-Its All Around Us










Not Only Is God In Individual Moments, Individual Moments Are In God—The Relationship Is Reciprocal

Nova Scotia Campground
Kabbalah Conversation Continued
Aug., `82

"I think I know what your boyfriend is talking about," I replied.
"It's kind of like what I believe. Maybe Robert is right! Maybe he and
I do believe in the same God. The idea of `continuous creation'
completely changes the way we see things. Mystics around the world
tell us that if we could only see past our ignorance, we would
discover ultimate reality. In fact, as we speak, it is as if God is
holding us in His very hand. We are simply a measure of that
relationship, a communing relationship with God. The bottom line is
that we are not alone in the universe. God fills every moment, and
that is true for both sides; God is there for us and we are there for
God, -- the relationship is reciprocal. The creator and creation
unfolds simultaneously. Nothing is separate. Everything is
interconnected. I know this sounds strange, and it is strange, but
seeing things in this light is not isolated to Jewish mysticism, the
Sufis, the mystical arm of Islam, as well as other mystical
traditions, understand divinity in a similar way. You just have to
give it time to sink in, that's all. Does that help?"

"Maybe a little," responded Michelle, "but it’s still hard to
understand. That's not what I'm taught in class; I'm taught biblical
injunctions, laws, prohibitions, and rituals. And, I might add, I'm actually
OK with becoming Jewish. I have had no trouble getting to know what is
kosher, and what is not. I like Jewish culture, but this Kabbalah
stuff is just too weird. Not knowing what to accept or reject makes it
hard to believe anything, or worse, what's the point if everything is
already as it should be?"

"Well, I wouldn't go quite that far," I replied. "There's always room
for improvement. Has your boyfriend tried to explain it to you; I mean
really tried?"

"Sure, but when I get confused, Robert always says it's the spirit of
the law, not the letter of the law, and then he reverts back to the
same old line—the Kabbalah treats everything as a code, as a message
that must be decoded before it can be understood—and that usually ends
the conversation."

"Things will get better," I said.

"I hope so," replied Michelle, "I really do love Robert. When it was
just the two of us, everything was much easier. Every breath I take
isn't connected to the universe like it is with him. It's Robert's
love that makes me whole, not some so-called love essence. I mean I
love God as much as anybody, but love is really real when I'm with
Robert. Somehow I feel cheated; I mean I don't really know what I
feel. Why has everything changed? What should I do?"

"I would like to help, but some things just take time," I said,
"especially when so much is at stake. I will say this, though; love is
not limited by kind or degree. It's all around us. There's romantic
love, paternal love, maternal love, and so on and so forth. I love
everything from ice cream to the stuff I probably shouldn’t love. I
suppose everything that stands out and makes a difference is deserving
of some kind of love. There is a special love, though. It's a love
that flourishes in unity and wholeness, an all-inclusive love, a kind
of love of love. Not many have experienced it, but it's probably worth
waiting for. You just have to be patient and give it time."

"You make it sound so easy," said Michelle, "or are you talking in
some kind of code also?"

"Tell me more about this code. Maybe things aren't quite as
complicated as that," I replied. "Going beyond superficial meanings is
good, but a little reflection usually gets you there anyway. Are you sure
Robert isn't saying that you need to reflect a bit in order to get
into the nitty-gritty of an issue?"

"No, that's not what he means," responded Michelle, "the Kabbalist
sees everything as a code. In fact, they used to keep that knowledge
secret. In the past, students were selected very carefully. It was
forbidden to speak Kabbalist knowledge to anyone who was not ready to
receive it, and that meant you had to be at least forty years old and be in
good standing with the faith. But, according to Martin, everything is more relaxed now. Come to think of it, maybe the old way was better. Our children would be
almost grown by Robert's fortieth birthday."

"So what you're telling me is that there's a magic formula that
produces knowledge," I said. "You’re saying that only certain people have this
formula, and with the formula they can read my mind?"

"Why do you say that?"

"Because,” I replied, “if I understand you correctly, they know all about the God that I
believe in without me telling them?"

"No, I didn't say that," Michelle replied. "They know about God
because God is everywhere. You said it yourself just a few moments ago."

""Well, if that's the case, then why would anybody want to keep that
a secret?"

"You tell me," Michelle responded, "I don't know. But I can give you
a for instance. It's in the creation story—the Adam and Eve Garden of
Eden story; they don't understand it the way I learned it in Sunday
school."

No comments:

Post a Comment