Saturday, April 14, 2012

Is The Kabbalah Anti Love, I Asked








His God Is Also My God And Your God Too-That's Part Of The Problem-God
Is Not Just The God Of Moses Anymore, God Is There For Everyone

Nova Scotia Campground
Kabbalah Conversation Continued
Aug., `82


"It's not as good as you think," said Michelle, "in fact, I'm using
this bicycle trip to sort things out."

"What's the problem," I replied, "is it him or his religion? I mean do
you love him?"

"Sure I love him,” she said, “and I really don't mind converting to Judaism.
To tell the truth, I don't really know what the problem is and that is the
problem. Maybe I'm just getting cold feet. That's normal before
marriage, isn't it?"

"Sure," I replied, "but does he love you?"

"Of course he does," said Michelle. "Well, I think he does. I mean,
yes, he loves me, but it's different than it used to be. It's not the
same. He's changed."

"What do you mean he's changed?" I said.

"Things have changed," she said. "Almost a year ago, his brother
returned from New York City and he brought with him those damn new
ideas. That's when the arguments started—not with me, with Robert, my
boyfriend. His brother, Martin, spent two years learning the Kabbalah,
Jewish mystical teachings. At first Robert argued back, but then the
arguing stopped, and that's when our problems began. My Jewish classes
were teaching me one thing, but I was hearing something different from
both Robert and Martin."


"Is the Kabbalah anti love?" I said.

"No. That's not the problem," Michelle replied. "Love is a priority
in the Kabbalah, but it's all about God Love."

"Oh, I see," I said, "his God was squeezing you out of the
relationship, right?"

"Not exactly," she replied. "His God is my God, and your God too.
That's the problem! God is not the God of Abraham and Moses anymore,
God is there for everyone."

"How can that be? Is that Jewish?"

"According to Martin it is. At least according to the mystical
teachings of Kabbalah," Michelle responded.

"Tell me more about this God," I replied.

No comments:

Post a Comment