Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Thanks For The Memories Nova Scotia







Sitting in McDonalds Drinking Coffee
August, ‘82

When it came time to go our separate ways, the goodbyes were short,
uncomfortably short. Michelle did make a point of getting my address,
and after that she left, and I went back into the artisans' gallery to
enjoy the artwork. In the kitchen, my friend the artist treated me to
a cup of tea, which I enjoyed in the company of his wife and friends.
The place was contagious with friendliness and that made it easy for
me to look to the future. All things considered, when it was time to
head out, I was in a pretty good mood.

I stopped at Fort Ann, and, as I walked around the grounds, I enjoyed
its history. The sun was actually hot--not sweaty hot, just hot.
Sometimes sweaty hot is good; when I get back in the states, I expect
it to be sweaty hot. The road out of town was hilly, but not bad, and
after a good day of bicycling, I stopped at Smugglers Cove picnic area
to eat dinner. While there, I noticed a ravine. There was even a
picnic table at the bottom. I could not let that uninhabited spot go
uninhabited. Hidden from the road, and open to the night sky, it was a
wonderful campsite. However, in the morning I found myself covered in
a thick, wet fog.

Three hours after breaking camp I reached Yarmouth. It was still
early, and I needed a shower, so I asked the lady at a campground if I
could buy one. "Go ahead," she said, "no charge." She was a very
friendly lady. In Yarmouth, it was still foggy, but not as bad. This
part of Nova Scotia was the same area where I bicycled in the pouring
rain the last time I was here. After experiencing this trip's good
weather, I'm wondering if it might be that the south shore has all the
bad weather. On the radio, the weatherman just said more of the same,
which meant at least another day or two of rain and fog. But where I
came from the sun was shining.

No comments:

Post a Comment