Monday, May 16, 2011

Tricky Dick Gets His Comeuppance

Talk to me Jesus Christ.
You have been brought here
Manacled, beaten by your own people.
Do you have the first idea why you deserve it?
Listen King of the Jews,
Where is your kingdom?
Look at me. Am I a Jew?
JESUS
I have no kingdom in this world.
I'm through.
There may be a kingdom for me somewhere.
If you only knew.
PILATE
Then you are a king?
JESUS
It's you that say I am.
I look for truth and find that I get damned.
PILATE
But what is truth?
Is truth a changing law?
We both have truths.
Are mine the same as yours?


Friends And Lovers Back Together Again
June 25, ‘73

In rained a lot on the other side of the island, so I moved Carol Sue,
De, and Rodney over to the Nanakuli Beach Park. Nanakuli was about ten
miles south from Keaau. Carol Sue still wanted to move back to Keaau, though.
She had changed her mind about living in Hawaii, however. She was
flying back to the mainland in a couple of weeks. I planned to leave
the island myself on Aug. 5, baring no complications. CMU hadn't come
through with all the money I needed, but by the end of the summer I
hoped to make up the difference.

Now that C.S. and her son had moved closer to Keaau, I got to spend
more time with them. I enjoyed spending time with De, C.S.'s,
girlfriend, too. Actually, the three of them were doing just fine
living on their own. On my day off, the four of us went to the Crater
Festival at Diamond Head. It was held in the center of the mountain's
long dormant volcanic crater. The festival format changed from last
year. It went from a "rock festival" to a festival celebrating
Hawaiian culture. We were one year too late to see the rock group
Santana skydive into the crater from 7000 feet up. Bummer!

After the festival we went to see Jesus Christ Super Star—the movie.
It's a very human take on Jesus (some say controversial). It made me feel
very Christian. I was beginning to feel different in another way also.
I had given up on government, but listening to the nightly news radio
broadcasts on the Watergate Hearings was making me think twice about
that. Maybe Tricky Dick was going to get his comeuppance. What a
shock! Maybe, just maybe, the democratic process-- the checks and
balances, the Constitution-- would prevail. Maybe, all the people
acting above the law would wake up to discover that "crime really
didn't pay." Wow! Did I say that! Slap my mouth! It won't happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment