Monday, May 23, 2011

Walking On The Edge Of The Earth





Napoli Coast


After Hanacopiae, the hiking got more rigorous. I was alone on the
trail, but every once and awhile I heard noises in the jungle. I paid
little attention until I saw a naked body running in the distance.
Back at Hanalei, I was told that some of the "nature freaks" had gone
totally wild. They lived in the jungle eating wild fruits, berries,
etc. I didn't believe the story until I saw a bare assed guy heading
in the opposite direction.

The trail wound its way out of the jungle and onto the ridges that
followed the coastal mountains. Occasionally, the trail edged around
shear cliffs, with the ocean hundreds of feet below. The view took my
breath away, figuratively and literally; that is, if I wasn't careful.
With the rugged mountains towering at my back and the horizon wide,
translucent blue ocean below me, it felt like I was walking on the
edge of the Earth.

When the trail headed down into the valley below, I found an
absolutely beautiful beach nestled within the boundaries of two large
rock outcroppings. These cliffs isolated Kalalau from the rest of the
coastline. There were campers in the area, but the three that I saw
were at the far end of the beach. I never met them. The place was
beyond words, but here are a few anyway:

Kalalau

Embraced by nature's unity
I grow wide and deep.
The mountains do not impose.
The ocean does not beg beauty.
My breath gently calms.
I am at rest.
I am at peace.
I am silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment