Thursday, October 13, 2011

Automatic Diploma


JFKU Law School

Future Looking
1979

Since I only needed two credits in biology to receive a Minor, I
decided to take a class in Botany. Half way through the class I
received my diploma in the mail. CMU automatically graduated me once I
satisfied the minimum requirements. With my diploma in hand, I decided
my time with Carin was more valuable than completing a post-graduation Minor.
But, it was also at that time that I became preoccupied with a brochure that I
found pinned to the bulletin board on the wall outside the Philosophy
Department. It described a graduate program in mysticism and
consciousness. Of course, Carin was sure that my unexpected diploma
and the opportunity to continue my education in my chosen field (her
interpretation) were far from coincidental. According to her, I had to
check it out. It was written in my stars.

John F. Kennedy University was a 15-year-old university located in
Orinda, California. It was the first in the country to be founded
specifically for older students (most of the students were going
through a midlife career change). The faculty, for the most part, had
PhD's from prestigious universities, and, more importantly (from my
perspective at least), JFKU had an accredited graduate degree program
that offered Masters degrees in either Comparative Mysticism,
Parapsychology or Transpersonal Counseling. All programs were
interdisciplinary with a strong emphasis in liberal arts, humanistic
values and practical experience. In fact, each curriculum had three
dimensions: theorizing/cognitive, practical/active, and
spiritual/experiential. When it came to learning about religion and
consciousness you didn't just learn to think the thoughts of other
people, you also received practical training.

The student was required, in the experiential dimension of the
curriculum, to participate in some form of spiritual practice.
Students were also expected to participate in periodic gatherings with
faculty and other students to discuss their progress. JFKU wasn't just
another degree mill. Balance in the cognitive, professional, and
experiential approaches to education was stressed. I was so impressed
with their literature that I applied to the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment