Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mt. Teewinot Magic Comes Through Again







Teton National Park
Sept. '79

After Madison, we drove down to the Teton Mountains, just south of the south
Yellowstone entrance. The weather remained good, but at Colter Bay
Campground it was a little crowded for my taste anyway. The next day we drove
down to the Jenny Lake. The first time I had camped at Jenny Lake I
climbed Mt. Teewinot and lost my wallet, but found it the next day.
The second time I camped there, it was late fall, and I almost got
frostbite on my ass. I met this sex-starved nurse from Seattle, but
of course, I didn't tell Carin that. This time around, the weather was
beautiful, and I was enjoying it with the woman I loved. This was
going to be our last stop before we headed home. We planned to make it
a rest stop. But the Tetons had a way of reinvigorating even the weak
and lame. After resting a day, Carin suggested we climb Mt. Teewinot.

I didn't try to change her mind (I knew the mountain would do that for
me), but I did suggest that we check out a few of the sights before
the big hike. She agreed, so we hiked up to Hidden Falls and
Inspiration Point—absolutely beautiful scenery. On the third day we
headed out to Mt. Teewinot and managed to climb up to a waterfall.
From that height, we had an excellent view of the surrounding
countryside. Carin agreed that we had climbed high enough. The best part
of the whole trip turned out to be spending that day on the mountain, just the two of us.
What a memorable, beautiful, hot sunny day, that was!

Back at the campground, we had an early dinner and then went for a
drive hoping to see some wildlife. Perhaps it was the dryness, or
perhaps we were unlucky, but we didn't see any animals. In fact, on
this trip the sum total of all the wildlife we saw was: three cow
moose, one calf, a coyote and a buffalo. In the backcountry we did
hear the sounds of some distant bugling elk, but unfortunately we
didn't get to see any.

No comments:

Post a Comment