Thursday, October 13, 2011

University Custodian Life





The Challenges
1979

It was not that I was unhappy with my life as a Castalian, but there
were challenges that I had never considered. For instance, I had
washed pots and pans with students who had graduated and then returned
to CMU as productive citizens. One student, who became a teacher, was
even hired by CMU as an instructor. As I was growing older, the
students remained perpetually young, not just chronologically, but
also psychologically and emotionally. Putting my education to use, as
opposed to continually embellishing it, sounded to me like the best
plan. JFKU not only offered an opportunity for me to continue my
studies, it also promised to prepare me for work in the outside world,
work that would not just benefit me, but society at large. I liked
that idea.

I sent JFK my transcripts and a written essay (more like a paper)
detailing my interests and history, especially as they pertained to
self-discovery and spiritual practice. The application also required
two letters of recommendation, which Dr. Gill and Dr. Shier, both
Professors of mine, said they would write on my behalf. Fortunately, I
didn't have to wait long before I found out that I was accepted into
the program. Money was always a problem, but I had managed to save
some, and I planned to take out loans and work. JFK was very
accommodating there; classes were offered on weekends and in the
evening. There was just one last thing to do—get an educational leave
of absence from CMU.

Sometime after I asked Dr. Gill to write a letter of recommendation for me, I ran into him in the hallway, close to where his academic office was located, and he told me he had done what I had asked him to do. He also said, “Perhaps you would like to see what I wrote?” I replied, “Sure,” and he reached in his brief case and handed me a copy of the letter saying, “Here, take this copy.”

I have no doubt he knew exactly what he was doing when he handed me that letter. To this day it remains one of my most prized possessions:




February 16, 1979


Director of Admissions
Graduate Programs in the Study of Consciousness
John F. Kennedy University
12 Altarinde
Orinda, California 94563

Dear Colleague,

Dave Heyl studied elementary philosophy with me some six years ago. He has followed with other courses, some of which he has taken for credit, but more often he has, with my permission, merely sat in as an auditor, though not hesitating to speak up. He usually represents a very sensible position, but seems to think things through with increasing depth and insight. He is dedicated to learning with emphasis on understanding. I would say he has become a mature student and potentially, a great teacher.

It is my impression that Dave Heyl possesses the sort of mind we need if either you or I are ever to crack the problem of consciousness – to find that strange factor which has been, and remains, the source of all value and meaning. I shall regret losing him here, but perhaps he will find other, new approaches in your programs so that he may move forward in working out the many complex issues involved.

I recommend Dave Heyl highly for your programs.

Sincerely yours,
JG Gill signature

John Glanville Gill
Professor of Philosophy

No comments:

Post a Comment