Thursday, October 13, 2011

Interesting People

I knew a man Bojangles and he'd dance for you
In worn out shoes
With silver hair, a ragged shirt, and baggy pants
The old soft shoe



My Apartment
’78

Just as I was beginning to take myself a little too seriously, into my
life walked this fun loving, carefree, girl who was a friend of a
friend, and we hit it off right away. Carin was a recreation major
going into her senior year at CMU. She was eight years my junior, and
a die-hard feminist. In addition to the physical attraction we had for
each other, we also shared some interests.

Carin was brought up in a home where spirituality was discussed all
the time. Her father was a Methodist minister while her mother was
into a spiritualism of the occult variety. Jane, her mother, read
books on mediums, gnomes, magic gardens, etc. She especially followed
the Seth books. Seth had "passed over," but frequently embodied the
same "host" and offered up lots of wisdom. Carin's father, Bill, was
a little less "cutting edge" with his brand of spiritualism, but he
was no less a believer, which was kind of strange since he was a
science major before he was "called to the ministry.” Around town,
Bill had a reputation for his dousing abilities. When he walked across
a field he could pinpoint underground water by watching the swinging
pendulum in his hand (or even a twig). He had a ninety percent success
rate.

Back in Junior High School, I did some reading on Edgar Casey, extra
sensory perception, space aliens, etc., and my mind remains open,
but, for the most part, I let the "debunkers" do their work and
when they've finished I am happy to believe anything--almost.
In my searching, if that's what you want to call it, I look for the
"miraculous in everydayness." I have to admit, though, talking ghosts
might be easier to find sometimes. Be that as it may, I found Carin's
parent's, Bill and Jane, the most interesting people I have ever met,
and with parent's like that I just knew Carin had to be a beautiful
flower waiting to bloom.




No comments:

Post a Comment