Thursday, August 25, 2011

Back Into The Rain





Biking along St. Lawrence
July ’77

My first day in Quebec was not a happy one, but I feel better now.
I'm practically back to normal—meaning, I'm negotiating morning rain
once again. I'm in my cutoffs, and it's a warm rain, so I guess I'm
okay, let it rain. I'm presently traveling along the St. Lawrence
Seaway, and am enjoying the hell out of it. However, after traveling
four or five days in Quebec, I feel compelled to write down how
unfriendly I have found the French Canadians. The only thing I expect
upon making eye contact with somebody is some form of recognition, a
smile, a hand wave, anything, but here I encounter silence and a cold
stare. I do not think I am overstating my impression of these people.

There I have said it, and I will leave it at that until I get more
information. That kind of behavior, accompanied with an unwillingness
to speak English (French is the preferred language), effectively
alienates the outsider. I still have a long way to go in French
Canada, but I can say right now that I will be happy to say good-bye
to these people. Well, I'm off once again, back into the rain, which,
I might add, is a whole lot more hospitable than the French Canadians.

No comments:

Post a Comment