Sunday, August 21, 2011

Done With Being Young And Restless--Right Buddha Right




New Brunswick, Campground
June 29, `77

Hi there journal, another day—another dollar, or something like that.
Well, last night, after sunset, some friendly people came over and
offered me an apple, an orange, and we shared the cheese they brought
with them; the boys from the swimming hole also stopped by. They
brought beer with them. They were a little young to be drinking (early
teens), but boys will be boys. After the beer was gone (I helped in
that department), they wanted me to go with them to get more. Instead,
I told them I had a long ride ahead of me tomorrow. I wished them
well, and turned in for the night. In the morning (even before the
sun), two of the boys returned. They were staggering drunk, but still
very friendly. I noticed that their car door was smashed in, but when
I mentioned it to them they just shrugged it off. After a few moments
of shared comradery, the boys passed out on their respective picnic
tables. I went back to sleep, too.

When I woke up, the boys were gone. "The young and restless," I was
sure glad I didn't have to go through that one again (right Buddha,
right?). They were probably encouraged to leave by the mist that was
falling in their faces. When I got on my bicycle to leave, the real
rain hadn't yet begun, but it looked as if I was in for a wet, dreary day.

For more on how, in old age, I enhanced my connection with Buddhism see: http://bwinwnbwi.wordpress.com/2010/01/09/whole-universe-of-necessary-opposites-end-of-life-story-chapter-4/

No comments:

Post a Comment