Saturday, August 20, 2011

Swim Breaks On The St. John River





New Brunswick
June ‘77

Biking was absolutely beautiful today. In 80 and 90-degree
temperatures, I biked on a good highway, through rolling forests,
while farms occasionally dotted the countryside. At no time along the
St. John River did the biking become difficult. Tomorrow I'll probably
see the last of New Brunswick. Too bad, it was so pretty. I did around
100 miles today, and there were sixty or so miles to go before I
arrived in Quebec.

I cooled off with a couple of swim breaks during those 100 miles.
When I came to one of the many steams that I passed, a ten-minute
break was all that I needed to keep me happy. Around 6:30 p.m., I saw
some kids diving off an abutment into one of the bays on the St. John
River. I immediately started to look for a way off the Trans-Canada.
Once I found my way back to them, it took only a couple of seconds for
me to jump into the water. While swimming, the kids told me about a
camping park. When I arrived there, I found lots of picnic tables,
with most of the people camped over in the pines. I was in the aspens,
enjoying the soft yellow sun-rays filtering through the softwoods.

I am now enjoying the end of a beautiful day. My trip home, so far,
has been the nicest biking I could have wished for.

No comments:

Post a Comment