Monday, August 22, 2011

Searching For A Campsite





Quebec New Brunswick Boarder
End Of June

Back on the highway, biking wasn't bad. I had a strong wind at my
back, and the traffic was sparse. I need to thank Lady Luck for
looking after me. She, the lady, seemed to enter my life
just after Richard and I split up. I think during the time Richard and
I were together, his "easy come easy go attitude" rubbed off
on me. (I must remember to thank him for that when I get home.) Until
I met Richard I had always worried about not being able to find a
campsite, but not anymore. And this evening, in that regard, I found
myself blessed!

Around 4 p.m. I knew I was in for a wet night. The sky said so too, and
the weatherman told me so. I decided to check into a youth hostel that
the gas station attendant told me about. "Up in Edmondson, it's in the
oldest house in town. You can't miss it," he said. He was right. I
didn't miss it, but when I got there nobody was home. I decided to
keep biking. On the outskirts of town I came to a subdivision where
new houses were going up. A couple of unfinished houses looked like
possible shelters, but they also looked like possible hassles, so I
just kept pedaling toward the very dark horizon.

It was getting close to "bombs away" when I arrived at a park.
However, I found Mr. Ranger standing there with his hand out. He
said,"$4.50 please," and I said back, "I just can't afford that. Maybe
I'll find something further on down the road." "Okay, suit yourself,"
he responded, "but it sure looks like rain!" And I said, "I know, Mr.
Ranger, I know."

Back on the highway, it started to rain. At the same time, along side
the road, the forest had thickened. Putting up a tent became
impossible. There was just no room. I began to mentally prepare for
the worst when suddenly I saw a break in the trees. It was an
abandoned picnic area. Picker bushes had grown up alongside the
rotting picnic tables, but behind the tables was a dilapidated
building with a partial roof. Just as I reached the building, it
started to pour. I found myself a dry corner and prepared for a long
night.

I can't begin to express how lucky I feel right now! Apparently, a
long time ago, this park was used as the "Welcome to New Brunswick
Park" for people coming in from Quebec. Whoever's responsible,
thank-you!

No comments:

Post a Comment