Thursday, April 7, 2011

Changing Currents Of Beach Life





Keaau, Hawaii

Sleeping night after night with my head and shoulders outside my
tent, and looking up at the beautiful sky, I felt weirdly in sink with
the phases of the moon. Over time, that experience would only deepen,
however, that said, the beach hours, days, and weeks were so woven
together that they were almost indistinguishable.

On the beach, people came and left on a regular basis. Rich, Eddy's
buddy, went back to the mainland because he didn't want to turn into a
Doobie Brother. He thought he was the last real person left on the
beach. He said, "Everyone has already turned," meaning, I guessed,
that over time, people on the beach turned into "Doobies." When Rich
left, he gave me his thick, cushy, pad to sleep on. I slept much
better after that. Rich was a "good Doobie."

The used car people arrived on the beach about the same time that Rich
left. Squeaky Robert (that's short for Squeaky Clean Robert) and Tony
Truthful (these guys picked their own names) sold used cars back in
L.A. They worked for one of the largest dealers in the west, and
because they were good at what they did, they got an expense paid
vacation to Hawaii (the dealers incentive program). This was Robert
and Tony's third year here. They told me, "Everything you've ever
heard about used car salespeople is true. Believe it, its all true!" I
found these guys exceptionally friendly. We did a lot of bodysurfing
together.

No comments:

Post a Comment