Tuesday, April 5, 2011

God Bless Coconuts




Keaau Beach Park
March 10, '73

Living on "beer can beach" was getting to me, so I packed up and moved
back to Keaau. I missed the solitude, but not the inconveniences. The
weather had been super. I bought a swim mask and snorkel and would be
diving right now, except the surf was too large. It was good
bodysurfing, though.

My food stamps had not arrived and neither had my unemployment. I
was down to my last dollar. There was no wild fruit growing at Keaau,
but in a subdivision not far from the park, coconut trees were used to
landscape the front yards. I would walk around on the streets until I
saw a fallen coconut. When nobody was around, and the coconut was
close to the road, I would take it. If, on the other hand, somebody
was around, I would ask permission before I took it. I was never
refused. The only problem I encountered was that I was getting sick of
eating coconuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment