Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Perks Of Community Beach Life




Keaau Beach, Hawaii
March 16, '73


My food stamps finally came, and so did my unemployment. It felt good
to have some money for a change. There was a whole community living at
Keaau now. John and Carol, the Anchorage couple, left behind the
Alaskan winter to come here. They were camped down next to Tom Tree
and Terry the Terror. Those guys were from California and were even
crazier than Eddy and Rich (but no sense of humor). Danny, Eddy's
sister's boyfriend, brought Eddy's nephew, Chucky, with him to Hawaii.
He was a ten-year-old wisecracking kid. His beach name was Chucky
Dumbo. Danny's brother Rick was also camping with us, and, according
to Rick, Gloria, Eddy's girlfriend was on her way over to Hawaii too.
Our little community was made up of mostly Eddy's friends and
relatives. Olympia, Washington was well represented on this beach.

Things were getting better all the time. I liked camping with these
people. We were all friends now. Yesterday, in fact, everybody got
drunk together (everybody but Chucky Dumbo). We chipped in and bought
four cases of wine. I was invited to go to Olympia and spend some
time, and if I ever got the chance, I planned to do just that. The
community influence had me eating better too. Up till then I had, more
or less, been living with just a can opener and a fork. Now it was a
campfire, plates, and box dinners. I'd been reading a lot too. I
started to wade through Sartre's Being And Nothingness. When I bought
it, I thought it sounded Buddhist, but it turned out to be about
consciousness and phenomenology. On the cover, though, it said it was
about ontology. I haven't figured out what it all means yet. It will
take some time I suspect.

No comments:

Post a Comment