Saturday, April 30, 2011

Welcome To Hawaii C S



Honolulu Airport
April `73

When I picked up Carol Sue at the airport, it was great to see her. If
it was possible, she was even more excited than I was about getting
back together. We rode the bus back to Makaha. It took me a while
before I figured out how to ride the buses, but after I did, it turned
out that for 50 cents you could go anywhere on the island.

I introduced C.S. to the "tribe." Rich was gone, but everybody else
was still there. Things didn't stay that way, though. Everybody left for the
Mainland soon after she arrived. After that, Eddy was the only one left on the
beach. People would still come and go, but during the month C.S. was
there, the place kind of lost its sense of community.

Don, the unemployed bartender from Wisconsin, was a regular visitor.
He would frequently show up right around sunset. When I first met him
he was looking for work. Later, he got a job managing the bar at the
Makaha Towers. The Towers were located about a mile down from the
park, but they were still north of Makaha. The Towers were an impressive
twelve stories of condominiums, and they had hotel space available
too. Don still came to the beach after he got his job, but he was not
the same person. I also found work. I worked part time at Cornet, a
K-Mart like store in Makaha. I did custodian work there.

Living on the beach with C.S. had been as rewarding as it had been
difficult. In the beginning it was great. Two lovers on the beach in
Hawaii; what could be better than that (talk about sweaty bodies, we
spent many an afternoon sealed up in the eighty or ninety degree heat
inside our tent). C. S. made friends easy and often. She was very
social. I, on the other hand, enjoyed peace and solitude as much as I
liked being with people. Our different personalities put a strain on
our relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment