Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Yoga For Beginners



Keaau Beach, Hawaii
March `73

A couple of days ago, I was sitting by the ocean, playing my
recorder, when two ladies walked up and started asking me questions.
After they finished with the initial introductions the short, heavyset
lady asked me if I had ever practiced yoga. After I told her no, she
told me a class was starting up, and she would be joining it. She said
her friend was the teacher and he was looking for students. She said,
"When Ruth and I saw you playing music by the ocean, I just knew you
would want to join the class." I told her, Babbet, that I had read
books about yoga, but I had never practiced. "Don't worry," she said,
"the class is for beginners."

Babbet offered to drive me to the class. It was going to be held in
Waianae, the next town down from Makaha. Although I was looking
forward to joining the class (the class didn't start for another
week), I wasn't exactly thrilled with Babbet. Apparently, I had
committed to being her beach boy confidant. Within a few days (she
visited me everyday) I knew her entire life story. I found out that
she and her husband were having problems, and that "growing old"
bothered the hell out her. I actually had to schedule a trip into
Honolulu just to get away from her. The excellent Asian food peddled
by the Ala Moana vendors was enough to get me to Honolulu all by
itself, but this time around I wanted to visit some of the religious
temples too.

No comments:

Post a Comment