Thursday, April 14, 2011

Zen Temple


Zen Temple which replaced the old one that I visited back in '73

Checking Out Nuuanu Ave.

I knew from past experience that the Honolulu's
"religious culture" was concentrated on Nuuanu Ave. I especially
wanted to go to Nichiren Shoshu, the Japanese Buddhist temple.
When I arrived, it was a bit intimidating. All the temples looked
exclusive and private. The doors were open to the Zen Temple, so I
walked up the steps and went inside. Up by the altar sat a large
Buddha statue (three times my size). It was painted gold with jewels
and other paraphernalia decorating the place where it sat. The Buddha
looked expensive and ornate. It was beautiful, though. I stood there
quietly. I had never been in a real Buddhist Temple before. I could
feel the presence of the spirit. I was in awe. I stood motionless for
a long time. Then, from behind a back panel, out walked this monk. I
guessed he was a monk; his robes were, like the Buddha, lined in gold
broche. He looked at me (scowled might be a better way of putting it)
and then began attending to the shrine.

In that one transforming glance, everything changed. When I first saw
the monk I wanted to talk to him. I wanted him to help me get to know
the Buddha better. But, under his stare that feeling all but
disappeared. I became uncomfortable. I felt like an intruder. I
remained silent, but when I looked around I no longer felt like I was
standing on Holy ground. Rather, I saw before me the established
church. I saw the mortar and architecture of a building. I saw the
rules and regulations that set people apart from one another. I saw
the private property that transformed me into a lowly vagabond, a
"threat" to somebody else's "stuff." I turned and, in silence,
returned to the street. When I went into the other Japanese Buddhist
Temple, I had a different experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment