Sunday, March 20, 2011

Bicycling Oahu's North Shore

Keana Point

Sunset Beach


Leeward Side Of Island

At Sunset beach I found a lot of hippie types. If you were a surfer
you hung out at Sunset. I was told the big waves hadn't arrived yet.
They looked plenty big to me, though. I would have stayed at Sunset
longer, except it was getting dark, and I needed to find a place to
camp. There were lots of "transients" all over the north shore of the
island. I spent the night dodging the beach police in order to sleep on a wet
beach not far from Sunset.

My bicycle ride around Oahu was pleasant, but the ride around Kaena
Point was the best. The point was the most westerly part of the
island, and there were no main roads. Coming from the north you had to
travel through an unpopulated part of the island on a secondary road
just to get to the gravel road that took you around the point. The
gravel road (err trail) followed the coast for about nine miles. The
road was totally washed out in a couple of spots. Avoiding rocks and
potholes was impossible. I found it easier to walk my bike rather than
ride. The scenery was marvelous, and, by walking, I saved my bike (and
body) from all that wear and tear. By the time the pavement started up
again, I had almost reached a meditative state of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment