Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Whoopee—Unemployment Money



Honolulu

When I got to the hostel, they told me I could get a bed if I came
back at four--check in time. I did what they told me, but when I
returned all the beds were taken (just another misunderstanding I
guess). I didn't have any other choice except to ask John if I could
stay at his place again. He surprised me when, over the phone, he
seemed happy to help me out. I arrived around 7 p.m. (I didn't want to
arrive too early, so I spent the rest of the afternoon admiring the
High School art exhibit at the Ala Moana shopping center). As Bev
greeted me at the door, I handed her the pizza and the six beers that
I had brought with me. John wasn't home, but by the time I took a
shower and drank my first beer, he showed up. Everybody had a good time.

The next day, after I went to unemployment (all they did was take my
list of job contacts and say good-bye), I returned to John's to pick
up my mail before heading out of the city. The good news was that I
finally received my first two unemployment checks. The bad news was
that CMU challenged my unemployment eligibility. I would not receive
another check until some board ruled on the challenge. I also got a
letter from Carol Sue. She had really missed me. The lump in my throat
that I got from reading her letter was still there. Oh well, at least
I had plenty of money to get me through until my food stamps kicked
in. I deposited one of the checks in a Honolulu bank savings account
and then biked out of town.

No comments:

Post a Comment