Saturday, March 12, 2011

When I Started Singin'

I started singin’,
"bye-bye, miss american pie."
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
Them good old boys were drinkin’ whiskey and rye
And singin’, "this’ll be the day that I die."

Da Yooper--Indigenous Species Found Only In Michigan’s Upper Peninsula




Michigan
Aug. 22 '72

Upon arriving in upper Michigan, the rides dried up. I spent two hours watching
the sun go down. At dusk, the mosquitoes swarmed. It was around 80
degrees, and, because of the mosquitoes, I had my jacket buttoned up
and gloves on. It was not fun! A train, a couple hundred yards off to
my right, was dropping off and picking up cars. I was seriously
considering jumping on one of the boxcars when a car pulled over and
the driver said, "How ya doing tonight?" I replied, "Fine. How are you
doing?" The cat said, "Couldn't be better! Couldn't be worse!" As we
headed down the highway, I sat listening to this dude sing along with
the radio, which was playing Don McLean's "American Pie." When the
song had ended, he apologized for ignoring me and then told me he was
going to Bad Ax, Michigan. That was the best news I had heard in
weeks. I was home free, and I had an all-night car ride to boot.

When I left on this trip, I didn't know how long I would be gone. If
I had gotten a university custodian job, I would have stayed. I still
had two hundred dollars in my pocket, and now that I was back home, I
needed to buy a bicycle. If I didn't buy one now, I would not only be
without a bicycle, I would also be without the money to buy one -- not
a happy thought. When I arrived in Bay City, a little after 7 a.m., I
went straight to the bicycle shop. The bike I wanted wasn't in stock.
I then hitchhiked over to Midland and found a Super Sport (the same as
my stolen bike) at another Schwinn dealership. I rode my new bike to
Houghton Lake (fifty miles north), and then went over to Carole Sue's
where I received a warm welcome. The next day I biked home to my
parent's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment