Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sitting Under Hawaiian Pine Tree



Bellows Park

I spent the weekend at Bellows Beach Park. When I arrived, I was
surprised to find it deserted. The place was too beautiful to be
vacated. It was a bit unusual for Hawaii; it was filled with pine
trees. The park was adjacent to the Bellows military base. Maybe that
had something to do with why nobody was there. I made myself right at
home. I sat under a tree and watched the three to four-foot waves
brake off shore. I was also sitting in what looked to be wildflowers
as I watched a butterfly flutter about, carefully avoiding the
bumblebees that were bouncing around the blue, yellow, and purple
blossoms. I probably sat for an hour, the warm sun penetrating my
bones. Totally absorbed in the scene, I couldn't keep from asking
myself, "Do I fit in? Am I an integral part of this landscape, or just
a `fly on the canvas,' so to speak?"

Bob was the first to enter the park after me. He had come to meet a
friend. We talked for a while, and then when his friend showed up, the
two of them walked down to the far end of the beach. I guessed they
were lovers because they acted the part. When I realized Bob was gay I
was surprised by my response. I didn't experience any "wow vibes,"
negative or positive. That was a first for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment