Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Taking Care Of Business

Ala Moana Evening Beach


Feb. 14 `73

After arriving in Honolulu in the afternoon, I went over to John's
and picked up my mail from Bev. Unemployment had scheduled a Wednesday
appointment for me. I was going to apply for food stamps on Tuesday,
so that meant I had to stay in the city for another day. I went to the
Police Station to get my camping permit. Punaluu, I remembered from
bicycling around the island, had a nice beach park, so I picked up a
two-week permit (two seven day permits) for that park. I hoped for
good weather. After that I went back down to the Ala Moana beach and
hung out until dark and then found a place to crash ( I hid my bike at
the same time).

I was up at first light. It was first come-first serve at the food
stamp office. I was told to get there early, but I still had to wait
five hours before I got through the process (interview, forms, wait).
Finally, the attendant told me that in a couple of weeks I would
receive $40 in food stamps. After that ordeal I went to the youth
hostel because I needed a shower and my clothes washed. I still had
one more piece of business to attend to, my unemployment interview in
the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment