Monday, March 21, 2011

Makaha And Job Hunting




Keaau Beach Park

After a long distance hike around the point, I came to a remote stretch of
highway. I passed some makeshift beach houses, but I didn't see many
people until, after another six or seven miles down the road, I
reached Makaha. It was a small town with a Cornet store (K-Mart-type
store), a nice restaurant, art gallery, and a Dairy Queen-type fast
food place that sold mostly Asian food. I bought a fast food rice dish
and ate it at the picnic table in front of the arcade that was
attached to the place. Just across the two-lane highway was another
nice view of the beach and ocean. Houses were scattered throughout the
area. There was even a subdivision or two. No camping was allowed on
the Makaha beach, so I decided to backtrack the three miles to Keaau
Beach Park.

There were just a few people camping at Keaau Beach. During the course
of the evening, I met a Hawaiian dude who turned me on to a beer and a
joint. That meant a lot to me because it was the first time that
somebody showed me a little friendliness in a long time. He also gave
me some tips on where to look for work. It didn't rain that night and
that was a first.

The next day, I biked back to Honolulu. It was another sixty miles or
so of biking. Once there, I went job-hunting. I visited the
construction sight the dude on the beach had told me about, but I had
no luck there. I then went to the University of Hawaii. I was
surprised to find that at the University only locals (meaning
Hawaiians or Asians) were hired for the custodian jobs; at least that
was what the girl who took my application told me. Before I finished
job-hunting, I even tried to ship out as a merchant marine on a boat
heading to Australia. When that didn't happen either, I decided to
call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment