Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Hawaiian Hobo

Ala Moana Beach


Renewing Friendships

It was late when my luggage finally arrived. I decided to stay in
Honolulu for the night because I needed to contact John and his wife. When I
went back to the beach, I met some locals who told me that the beach
was patrolled, and if I got caught at night sleeping, I would get
ticketed or worse. That was the bad news. The good news was that the
beach was large. The chances of not getting caught were pretty good. I
slept just up from the beach, next to some heavy vegetation. I didn't
know it until I got up in the morning, but there was another person
sleeping not more than twenty yards from me. As I walked my bike past
him, (he was crouched over a little fire with a can of something
cooking) he nodded his hat at me. He looked like a 1930's hobo; a
picture I did not expect to see in "paradise."

I phoned John, and Bev answered. After I told her who I was, and that
I was in the city, I asked if I could come over. She said, "Sure."
When I arrived I was welcomed with a big hug. After I told her that I
wanted to get a job and stay in Hawaii, but right now I needed a place
to pick up my mail, she was all heart. She said she would have to talk
to John, but didn't see a problem with that. John wasn't expected home
until 6 p.m., and I wanted to start bicycling around the island, so
Bev came up with the perfect solution. John, Bev, and another hometown
kid stationed in Hawaii (I didn't know him) were going to Hanauma Bay
Underwater Park on Saturday and I could meet them there. "That sounds
like a date to me," I said, so after we talked a little about the old
school days; I took off for the unemployment office. When I got there
I took a chance and used John's address. I was pretty sure it would be
okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment