Sunday, March 27, 2011

Foiled By The Weather

Arrow Points Out Kaena Point


Keaau Beach Park

With a change in the weather my short cut around Kaena Point had turned into
a long grueling hike. The dirt road that I was following turned into unavoidable
pools of mud and water, and, while crossing submerged rocks, I fell hands
down into a pile of mud; even worse, upon making it to the other side
of the Point, the wind and rain got so bad that I had to turn around
and head back. It was 6 p.m. before I was able to escape the worst of the
weather. My first attempt at putting up my tent failed, but, on solid ground,
next to an unofficial garbage dump, I managed to stabilize my tent and
climb inside. That night I slept okay, but the atmosphere was lacking.

In the morning, on the way back to Keaau, I had another flat tire.
My bike was in terrible shape, so I had to give it gasoline bath
and a lube job. Hawaii was hard on bicycles. The good news was that
Keaau Beach Park was going to stay open. I guessed the Park Service
got too many closing complaints from the locals. They had to leave the park open
at least for the weekend. One thing about the Hawaiians, they sure did enjoy
their weekend campouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment